Monday, July 22, 2019

Grandparents New Article3

Grandparents beware! As happy as you may be to be a new grandparent, realize from the top that there are tons of responsibilities that face you in the years ahead. It's not just about buying gifts, sending cards and wishing them well. It's more about tough love, a love that they may not like but it is up to you to ensure that they get it, understand it and mature responsibly.

I have one grandchild, my son John's 10 year-old little girl Ally, who is sweet, caring and always ready to receive my love and send it back. She does not seek out excuses to not do her homework or chores around the house, but does everything carefully and loves to learn. She sends me drawings or sketches via email, some of her, others of me and some of the two of us together ... even if it's not real but the product of her imagination, it doesn't matter. She's honest, loyal and endearing.

Then I have another Todd, a 9 year-old from my daughter Marie. Just the opposite from his cousin Ally. He does not thank me for any of my gifts, only writes when his mother makes him, and, as of late, has started to lie to his parents about where he goes after school and who his friends are. He is technologically savy for a little kid, but what does that mean if he is not responsible toward his family?

I must say when I heard about being a grandfather for the first time, I was delirious with joy, but as of late, am burdened with worry about Todd. If only Ally could talke some sense into him, but they barely know each otther...and their parents next to never connect.

If you have a suggestion, write to me and share your story with me. I am most enthusiastic to go forward as a grandparent who truly cares about how to make his grandchildren bear up to total responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment