Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chuck Pelletier's new song "Christmas Came Rushing"...

...makes total sense to me.
Last year at Christmas we bought a piano
Dragged that thing up both the two flights of stairs
I polished the wood like that old man Geppetto,
Opened the door so it could breathe fresh air
My fingers were shy
Not sure they would still know
All the chords to the carols
I played years ago
Then Christmas came rushing back into my head
Don’t recall what I’ve given, or gotten, or said,
But Christmas came rushing back into my head
In a song

It drew my mind back to when I was just seven
We had a room downstairs we called the music room
My dad used to play an old walnut piano
And every December we’d ask for those tunes
He’d pause for a moment
He’d stare at the keys
Then play, just like magic
Those old melodies
And Christmas came rushing back into his head
We’d sing ‘til he carried us off into bed
And Christmas came rushing back into his head
In a song
            
That’s when I thought what this piano needs
 Is a few little hands dancing along the keys
So this year I badgered my brothers,
Got them to fly to LA, to spend Christmas out here
And my little nephew crawled up on the bench
To play jingle bells like he does every year
But he got discouraged
He couldn’t remember
Cause he hadn’t played it
Since last December
Then Christmas came rushing back into his head
You could almost see sugar plums dance in his head
Yeah, Christmas came rushing back into his head
Into his tousled-haired, four-year-old head                        music & lyrics by:
In a song.                                                                        Chuck Pelletier           
                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment